Wednesday | 4:30 pm Friday | noon Saturday | 4:30 pm Sunday | 11:00 am Domingo | 12:30 pm
Communion is our coming together as a community to “give thanks” to our loving God in Jesus. In the Eucharist, Jesus living and present gives himself to us under the appearance of bread and wine. In receiving him, we become one with him and all believers. Our sacramental preparation program for First Eucharist is designed for baptized children in Grade 3 and above. The program consists of 10 Sessions and a First Eucharist Retreat. Classes meet on Sunday mornings from 9:45 - 10:45 am, during our Parish Religious Education Program (PREP). The Sacrament of First Holy Communion will be celebrated on April 23, 2023.
Children may be ready to prepare for the Sacrament of First Eucharist when they meet the following:
- An awareness that God loves them
- Regular attendance and participation in Sunday Mass
- Participation in the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Regular attendance and participation in Parish Religious Education Program classes (PREP)
- Prayer as a part of child’s life
- Interest in learning about the true presence of Jesus in the Eucharist
Our classroom component consists of a Parent Meeting followed by 10 sessions. The Sacrament of First Eucharist will be celebrated on Sunday, April 23, 2023 at the 11:00 am English Mass or the 12:30 pm Spanish Mass.
All candidates for First Communion are required to attend our First Communion Mini-Retreat on Sunday, April 16, 2023 from 2 – 4 pm.
Please work with your child at home to memorize the following prayers and aspects of receiving the Eucharist.
- The Lord’s Prayer
- The Nicene Creed
- How to approach the Altar and stand in Communion line with hands folded in prayer
- Genuflect or bow when approaching the Altar and before receiving the Eucharist
- Respond by saying “Amen” after the Priest says “The Body of Christ” and “The Blood of Christ”
- How to receive the Eucharist on the tongue and in the hand
- Respond by making the Sign of the Cross after receiving the Eucharist
For more information on Youth Sacraments, please contact: Jessica Sarver Youth Religious Education Coordinator (502) 773-1853 firstname.lastname@example.org